It blows my mind with some awesome tigers for kids: The tiger is capable of killing animals over twice its size or it is one of nature’s most feared predators.
- Tigers live alone and aggressively scent-mark large territories (up to 100sq km in size) to keep their rivals away.
- They are powerful nocturnal hunters that travel many miles to find buffalo, deer, wild pigs, and other large mammals. A Bengal tiger can eat 21kg of meat in a night and can kill the equivalent of 30 buffaloes a year.
- The roar of a Bengal tiger can carry for over 2km at night.
- Although tigers are powerful and fast over short distances, the Bengal tiger cannot outrun fleet footed prey such as deer. Instead it uses stealth to catch its victims; attacking from the side or the rear.
- Tigers use their distinctive coats as camouflage (no two have exactly the same stripes).
- If the kill is large, the tiger may drag the remains to a thicket and loosely bury it with leaves, then return to it later.
- As well as game animals, it preys on wild boar, monkeys, lizards and occasionally porcupines.
- Females give birth to litters of two to six cubs, which they raise with little or no help from the male. Cubs cannot hunt until they are 18 months old and remain with their mothers for two to three years, when they disperse to find their own territory.
Related to amazing animal facts